Athletic Bras and Lingerie Career Costumes Denim Formal and Bridal Goth & Punk Maternity Outerwear Shoes & Hosiery Swimwear Tall Trendy Uniform Vintage and Retro
Beauty Plus Power
Quick SearchQuick SearchQuick Search

Shopping Directory
Block of Categories - break up



BeautyPlusPower.com & FashionFitsMe.com

Evans Blog Partner Program
plus size clothing for women



Beauty Plus Power
Beauty Plus Power

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Missing the Mark (Fast)
Mark Fast is a British fashion designer known for his knitwear - but known far more than that for showing a few looks on plus size models at not one but 2 consecutive fashion shows at London Fashion Week. The first time he did it, rumor has it that a few of his staffers quit over his use of plus size women in the show. The press had an absolute field day with the story, and when seeing how lovely those curvy models looked, you could safely feel outraged yourself.

However - if I heard that a staffer quit over plus models in this show, I don't know that I'd be outraged. Because maybe they'd be quitting in horrible, horrible shame over putting some of the sexiest women in the world into clothes that turned their beautiful curvy forms into a mockery of squeezed, squooshed unflattering flesh. Don't believe me? On the left is Crystal Renn in one of many hundreds of beautiful photos of her glorious figure. On the right, Crystal Renn squeezed into a hideous red sausage casing at the Mark Fast show. There are not enough words.

Crystal Renn Lane BryantMark Fast Crystal Renn

In fact, the picture on the left is an old Lane Bryant image, which I think is a few years old (and oh, by the way, I totally have that lingerie set, it's so cute!) and she may have actually been heavier then. These days I think Crystal is maybe a size 12. But I am pretty sure they've got her squeezed into their straight size sample. The boobs: squashed, the stomach: pooched, the hips: all over the place. UGH. The weird thing is, other than some of my plus size friends/bloggers, most of the articles I've been reading are trying so hard to be positive to the plus size movement (and I do thank them for their enthusiasm) that no one is pointing out the obvious of how much more impact these looks could have had if they fit correctly!

What do you think?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Brandie said…

    I completely agree, that outfit would have looked MUCH better if it had either been in the correct size, or at the very least they had allowed her to put some shapewear under it to smooth things out a bit.
    On the upside, it is nice to see a girl who looks healthy on the runway, hopefully it'll be a trend that continues.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Rosie said…

    I don't know what Mark Fast was thinking with this second show. The ladies looked terrific in the first show, but in this one he simply put all the wrong sizes on them. It doesn't matter what size someone is if they are wearing something way too small! It's insulting, almost...and unfortunately supports many people's assertions that plus-sized models shouldn't be on the runway.

    I agree with you completely. I was angry when I saw the images from this show!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Visit BeautyPlusPower.com



Lisafashionista
New York

 View my complete profile

Bookmark and Share





Related Posts with Thumbnails