Athletic Bras and Lingerie Career Costumes Denim Formal and Bridal Goth & Punk Maternity Outerwear Shoes & Hosiery Swimwear Tall Trendy Uniform Vintage and Retro
Beauty Plus Power
Quick SearchQuick SearchQuick Search

Shopping Directory
Block of Categories - break up



BeautyPlusPower.com & FashionFitsMe.com

Evans Blog Partner Program
plus size clothing for women



Beauty Plus Power
Beauty Plus Power

Sunday, December 27, 2009

It's nice not to be needed (sometimes)
I've been missing in action lately. I've sort of taken the holiday off from blogging and much of my online life - twittering, site updates etc. I've been feeling guilty about it but then I realized something... you'll be ok without me. I started the original version of Beauty Plus Power in 2003, which makes me sort of a web grandma. Back when I started, it was me and maybe Kelly Bliss (of the plus size yellow pages - which I think is also still around). There was hardly anyone with a plus size site, fashion or otherwise. Torrid was in its infancy. Many of our favorite plus size designers, shopping sites and blogs didn't exist.

The beginning years were fun because of how new everything was. I got to meet a lot of plus size celebrities, had boxes of free plus size designer clothes delivered to my door, went to interesting parties and got some great press. The most fun part of all of it was sharing all of the fashion sites I found with other plus size women. And I was able to meet so many of my readers as well as plus size entrepreneurs, business people and fashion lovers. Some of my best friends are people I met as a result of me having this site.

But things have changed in my world and the plus world. Since launching this site as a single, size 20, twenty something plus size girl, I've gotten married, lost 60 pounds, embarked on a new career I love (day job), bought a house, moved to the surburbs and entered my thirties (gasp). And in the plus world, I may still be useful (to my knowledge no one has as comprehensive of a plus size shopping directory as BPP does) but I am, I guess, not as exciting.

In the old days, I'd get emails from girls all over the world practically in tears thanking me for helping me them finally find a place to shop for trendy clothes. Recently, I wrote a young, trendy plus size blogger I've been following and asked if she'd add my site to her site links. She politely said that she can't add all the sites that ask her to add them, and that if something really interested her on my site she'd be sure to link to it. Boy, did I feel like somebody's uncool mom that day. But then I realized, hey, it's ok. The fact that this blogger has a universe of plus size stuff cooler than me out there is a good thing. I mean, you should see the fabulous clothes she wears. In my day (see, I am old) we didn't have those choices. And BPP has always been about giving girls a choice. So while I hope people will continue to visit Beauty Plus Power (and follow me on Twitter and visit my newer site, the plus size shopping portal FashionFitsMe.com), I know that if I want to be out of the picture for a while, you'll have plenty of other places to go.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Moe said…

    Now you've gone and made me feel really old. LOL

    I'm glad you're hanging in. When I first started reading the post I thought it was one of those "good-byes".

     
  • At 12:39 AM, Blogger Kari said…

    nooooo don't leave... i live for your posts and wish you'd post more often!

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Kelly Bliss said…

    Hi! This is Kelly Bliss here. Yes, my www.PlusSizeYellowPages.com is still here and BIGGER than ever. Come visit and fine products, organizations, information, and more. Check out www.KellyBliss.com for Lifestyle Watchers(tm), the anti-Weight Watchers(tm), Self-care and self-appreciation program to recover from dieting and binge eating caused by dieting.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous AC said…

    I used to really enjoy this blog, but for the past few years, it seems like the (few and far between) posts you make are kind of half-hearted, "I'm way thinner now; I don't have to worry about this so much anymore!" commentary. Was it really necessary to add "lost 60 pounds" to your list of changes since you started the site? Why does it matter?

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Lisafashionista said…

    Hi AC - Thanks for your feedback. I mentioned the 60 pound loss because in truth, it was a huge change in my life and lifestyle, especially because I was also really really out of shape - like, not able to walk a mile. So yeah, the fact that I started going to the gym changed my life and my abilities to do things, and in the process, I lost weight.

    And yes, there were some changes to my priorities because of it too. It's kind of hard for your life not to change when you make big decisions - whether it is to get married, or to move to the suburbs or to lose weight. All of those have had a major impact on my life, who I am, how I think of myself.

    And I don't fit into most plus size clothes anymore. Listen, I am not skinny - I have to struggle to find pants that fit me because I am halfway between plus and straight size and very very curvy, but no, I don't shop at the same stores anymore. So although I try to keep up to date with what's going on, I am simply exposed to it a little less. Combine that with having a day job and a house, that between commuting and working has me out of the house for 12 hours, and yes, I have a little less time to check stuff out.

    But I am glad that at some point you did like what I had, and I am also glad that there are lots of people out there that do blog on the regular that you can follow if you don't like my content anymore. Thanks for posting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Visit BeautyPlusPower.com



Lisafashionista
New York

 View my complete profile

Bookmark and Share





Related Posts with Thumbnails